||Situated in the oasis on the edge of the desert stands Swakopmund lighthouse in the Town of Swakopmund in Namibia. This lighthouse was only a third of its present height and was extended as the town expanded as it was not visible to passing maritime traffic. The original light was replaced by an acetylene gas twin mantle changeover system in 1924. A new lantern house and a rotating light were installed during 1982 and a stainless steel weather vane and cock was erected during March 1983
The light was converted to electric mains during 1980. This increased intensity of the light from 21 000 candelas to 57 800 candelas and now has a range of 18 nautical miles. The cost of the original installation is estimated at R43 585, this figure from material printed in 1991.