|Name||Green Point [CT]|
|Structure||16 metre square masonry tower, painted with red and white diagonal bands|
|Date Installed||12 April 1824|
|Description||Green Point lighthouse was the first solidly constructed built on the South African coast, built on the north west point of the promontory bounding Table Bay, which was built by Herman Scutte who commenced work in 1920.
The approximate cost was £ 6420.
The light house was first completed in 1824 and was lit on the 24 April of that year. The original lanterns were equipped with a single wick Argand lamp which used sperm oil as fuel. The light was reflected by highly polished metal parabolic reflectors, known as the catoptic system. The weak rays from this arrangement could only be seen at a distance of 6 miles.
In 1865 the tower was extended to its present height of approximately 20 metres and was electrified in March 1929. The lantern was replaced with a 3rd order dioptic flashing light of 8 500 c.d. The 1,5kW lamp produces 850 000 candelas which can be seen for 25 sea miles.
Greenpoint has seen its fair share of shipwrecks, the most recent being the S.A Seafarer that was lost in 1966. One of the most famous wrecks to take place here was that of the Indiaman Jonge Thomas which was driven ashore near the Salt River mouth in 1773.
|Light Type||Revolving electric, One f|
|Light Range||25 sea miles|
|Light Power||850 000 CD|
|Height of focal Plane||20 metres above high water|