||The Great Fish Point lighthouse is situated at Great Fish Point near the mouth of the Great Fish River a mere 25 km from the coastal holiday resort of Port Alfred. The establishment of this lighthouse arose out of a recommendation from the Lighthouse Commission of the time appointed by the Governor of the Cape Colonial Government in 1890.
The construction of the lighthouse was delayed and was only lit on 1 July 1898. The 9 metre octagonal masonry tower painted in vertical Black and white stripes is situated 76 metres above sea level and is approximately 800 metres from the shoreline. The light flashes once every 10 seconds and has an approximate candle power of 5 000 000 candelas with a range of 32 sea miles.
The cost of the building was £10 000-155-0-2 Sterling