|Structure||9 square metres masonry tower|
|Date Installed||1 May 1860|
|Description||No, this is not the most Southern tip of Africa! A lot of people think it is. The light house you see here was the second light house, built 286 feet below the first which was erected on an iron tower.
Situated in the Cape of Good Hope nature reserve, Cape Point is probably visited by more tourists than any other tourist attraction in South Africa.
Normally in clear weather, the light could be seen from a distance of 36 miles, however because of its height above sea level it was often enveloped in mist and cloud. the new one was built lower down.
The foundation stone laid by Sir Thomas Prince on 25 April 1914. The light was lit by Miss Thurl Cooper, daughter of H C Cooper, the designer and builder of the lighthouse.
The power of the light was the original paraffin vapour mantle burner of 500 000 candelas. This was increased to approximately 19 000 000 when the light was electrified on 1 September 1936 and the character changed to group flashing three every 30 seconds. The lamp was replaced by a 1.5kW lamp which reduced the candlepower to approximately 10 000 000 c.d. This is the most powerful light on the South African coast.
|Light Type||Revolving electric|
|Light Character||Group flashing, 3 flashes every 30 seconds|
|Light Range||34 sea miles|
|Light Power||10 000 000 CD|
|Height of focal Plane||87 metres above high water|
|Position||32 21 24.36 South, 18 29 12 East|